Wednesday, August 24, 2011

project dining table

I bought this dining table for double duty use as a desk and dinner table.  I really liked the chunky legs and weight of the piece, a steal for the price of $20.  Unfortunately the measurements weren't quite right. I needed the table to be a little bit more narrow, so I took it to my dad's shop to have it cut down.  He's a boat builder and watercraft designer and was able to knock this out in 15 minutes (unfortunately he didn't let me use the power saw).  After cutting out about 12 inches lengthwise, we glued it back together using an epoxy mixture and heavy duty clamps.

The epoxy glue had squeezed out during the drying process, so I sanded that down and painted the legs white using a satin paint.  The top of the table went through a few phases.  First, I painted it white like the legs.  After living with that for a while, I got bored and wanted to do something bold, so I came up with a multi-color "nature" pattern.  Bad, really bad!  Oh well, I did it free hand and I was trying to be creative.
Finally, I settled on green.  It's my favorite color and lately I've been attracted to lime greens.  So I painted the top green, and stenciled a damask pattern (from Michael's) on top using the same green diluted with white to create a lighter shade of that same green.  I finished with a coat of high gloss polyurethane which is really great for a table that needed constant cleaning.
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment