Wednesday, August 24, 2011

project flowers in hanging basket

My favorite style of home is Spanish, the older style cottages you see in San Clemente (my hometown) along Ola Vista, around Del Mar, T-Street, and by the pier. Related to this style, I tried to create a Mexican-hacienda look in my tiny backyard.  This was inspired by one of my visits to San Clemente.  I made a trip to Shore Gardens and was immediately struck by their stunning hanging plants, so I asked the folks how to do this step by step.

The process was simple and really fun. I purchased wire frames, moss, soil and several plants. I took chunks of the moss, wet it, and molded it into the frame creating a structure to hold the plants.  I tried to arrange the plants as artistically as I could, varying the colors and textures.  The guys at Shore Gardens had created incredible lush beauties with long vines overflowing in their containers.  One trick was to break open small holes in the front and side of the molded moss and insert plants there.  I really like how they had flowers coming out of the bottom so I tried to do that here.  

Eventually the plants will fill out.  Like all container plants and flowers, these need attention--a good amount of watering and pruning.



No comments:

Post a Comment