Wednesday, August 24, 2011

project dyed duvet

I love my white shabby chic duvet (Target, white smocked duvet set by Rachel Ashwell Simply Shabby Chic line).  After a couple years though, it started to get dingy, not to mention I have been trying to move away from the shabby chic style.  I saw a display at Anthropologie in their Santa Barbara store (my favorite place for inspiration) that looked like a similar duvet.  Anthropologie's display really appealed to me because the bed was layered with a colorful quilt at the foot along with tons of their stylish pillows.  I love beds that look sumptuous, so this is the look I wanted to achieve. (below is the Anthropologie Cirrus duvet set). 
Using iDye fabric dye in silver grey 430, I dyed my duvet in the washing machine and it couldn't have been easier.  I filled the machine halfway with hot water, added the dye and mixed thoroughly, then added one cup of kosher salt.  After wetting my duvet set, I added everything:  my duvet, pillow shams, and bed skirt;  agitating them so the dye would distribute evenly.  I set the washer to the longest cycle and afterwards ran another cycle using detergent.  This is the easiest and cleanest dying method I have ever tried (remember dying jeans using RIT?).  I threw the duvet set into the dryer and the result was a beautiful bluish-grey finish. It made me really happy.  I will probably dye the set one more time to achieve a more saturated color.  I layered the duvet with a gorgeous colorful quilt (Chika) I bought from Anthropologie (sorry I could have done a better job at making my bed before I snapped this picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment